Lilypie First Birthday tickers
PitaPata Dog tickers

Monday, June 22, 2009

Random Acts of Kindness

Random acts of kindness are something that I've always loved, but admittedly, as my life has gotten more and more hectic (as has everyone's!), I've noticed them less and less. Both on the receiving end and on the giving end. That doesn't mean my family and friends are any less amazing (because they aren't!), life is just a little bit tougher these days, and it takes enough energy just to make sure you're getting by! Nevertheless, when you least expect it, they still pop up.

This morning I got an email out of the blue from a girl who was in my Distinguished Majors Program for History at UVA. This was a class of about 15 people who met once a week in a 2.5 hour long seminar with our quirky professor, Dr. Lenard Berlanstein. I could go on about him for awhile, but I'll spare you. He was just so eccentric and lovable at the same time - think a short little man with a stutter who was really shy and awkward, but then just when you think you'd pegged him you'd see him lifting weights at the gym with gloves on and everything. Anyway, our class really bonded over the two years that we were in this program, and even though I was never very close to any of the people outside of the classroom, I respected them all, and really enjoyed being with them. 

On to my point. I got this email from a girl from my DMP class today, who since graduating has gotten married and even gotten her Master's in History (something I find amazing, because there must be just SO much constant research involved!). She stumbled upon this blog the other day, caught up on my life, and decided to drop me a line. She wrote the kindest email to me about how she was thinking about me and Greg, and how hard it must be to be pregnant all the way across country from family and friends, and to be staring at Greg's deployment in the face. This is a hard thing, she's right, but because those facts are the bare bones of my life right now, I try not to have too many pity parties for myself. But it was so nice for her just to say she's thinking about us, and hopes we're doing well. She also offered to make us a baby blanket, which was just so sweet. 

My point here is not to divulge every email I get on this blog, but to say that random acts of kindness work. Her email made my day, and made me feel like people were actually reading my blog (other than my sis Ann, who diligently comments and checks her "reactions" in the boxes below). So, if you know of anyone that you are thinking about, just want to say hey, or want to reconnect, I say do it! Chances are they won't think it's as weird as you might think it is to say hey out of nowhere, and it will really mean a lot to them!

And now I'm off my soapbox. And on a completely different subject, the pups we babysat last week have now gone home to their parents, and Rocky is STILL pooped! But I thought I'd give one last pic of them last week - hanging out outside, with a fuzzy heart between the love triangle they created. So sweet. 



No comments: