Lilypie First Birthday tickers
PitaPata Dog tickers

Friday, June 19, 2009

Puppies Behind Bars!

I stumbled upon an article about this amazing organization today, and thought I'd share it with you. It's called Puppies Behind Bars. I've decided that if I were a celebrity, this would be my organization. 

Basically, these puppies are trained as guide/service dogs not by volunteer trainers through an organization (as is usually done), but by prisoners. They stay with their assigned prisoner 24/7, and even sleep in a crate in their cell with them. As a result, these pups (usually labs :) ) often give the prisoners a type of unconditional love that they have never seen before. Also, many prisoners are given a sense of responsibility and achievement that they haven't felt in a long time. 

After the dogs have been trained, they are certified service dogs, and leave the prison to join their new owner. Among the people these amazing dogs serve are wounded war vets, who need a dog for companionship and to help them out with their injuries. This can be anything from severe PTSD to physical injuries. 

I can't think of anything better than a wonderful dog directly bettering two different people's lives throughout its lifetime. Check out this organization (I promise they're not paying me!) - it's amazing!

No comments: