Lilypie First Birthday tickers
PitaPata Dog tickers

Monday, May 11, 2009

Now That You're Caught Up, What I'm Doing Now...

So now that you all know pretty much everything that's been going on here on Dumosa Ave, I'll give a quick overview of my life right now. At the end of April, I ended my stint at the Palm Springs Bureau of Tourism. While it was a short run, it was the right decision. With the constant change of plans that Greg has, as well as the swiftly approaching baby, I need time to adjust. 

Basically, I'm going to move back to Chestertown for the first 6 months of the baby's life, since Greg will be deployed. What does this mean? First of all, double everything - double crib, double diaper changing table, etc...Also, it means coordinating between the OB/GYN here (it's looking like I'll have the baby here at this point, but for the past few months we didn't know if I'd have to go home to have it) and a Pediatrician in Maryland. It's all very confusing. Nevermind the emotional rollercoaster than has accompanied all of this. It's crazy. So, I needed to get my life in order, set up shop in Maryland, and prep for the baby! I know some day I'll look back on this time in my life and be proud of myself, but right now I just think I'm a psycho sometimes! Sure, it would be easy to still be single and have the same job I had right out of college, and be gearing up for some type of graduate school (not to say that life doesn't have its own challenges, it CERTAINLY does, as all lives do), but I know that this craziness, as strange as it may look on my resume, is the best for me and my family, and that's what's important. 

In the meantime, before the baby arrives, I've decided I'm going to apply for an MBA Online program. I was super skeptical about this about 5 months ago, but after much research, I've realized that there are very legit programs, that are highly ranked and give you the same program with the same MBA as a full-time program. It's perfect for me, because the closest "brick and mortar" business school to me is 2.5 hours away, in LA, and that's just not feasible. And even if I started a weekend program there, we'd move in the middle, and who's to say (God forbid) that we won't be in an even more desolate place than 29 Palms, so I wouldn't be able to transfer anywhere? This would be great if it worked out, because I could be with the baby, while still earning my Masters. Then, when the time comes, I would have an MBA and can hopefully ease my way back into the full-time working world. The programs I've looked into are Arizona State (my number one pick), Indiana, Penn State, and Florida. I'm currently studying for the GMAT, which I'll take in July, when I'm in Maryland. 

Studying for the GMAT has already made me feel great, and has given me a feeling of productivity that I haven't felt since college. I hope this will all pay off -- cross your fingers!

And now, if you've waded through all of my blog posts today, you've been brought to my current location - on the computer at the kitchen table, a plate of what used to hold homemade key lime pie next to me, and Rocky sprawled out on the patio outside, sunning himself. 

Just updating this blog has made me feel better. Greg is gone AGAIN all week this week, surprise!, and sometimes when it's just me and Rocky I feel very sad and lonely. But, sadly enough, typing to an imaginary audience on the internet is very therapeutic. 

Keep in touch everyone, and let me know what you think of the blog! Sometimes I feel like I have no readers :(

1 comment:

Libby said...

Hi Louisa,
Congrats to you and Greg! Stumbled upon your blog and wanted to let you know that I am, in fact, a reader. I also loved American Wife too!
Hope all is well in Yucca. xxo Libby