Lilypie First Birthday tickers
PitaPata Dog tickers

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Greg's Gone = Treat Myself!

I've realized recently that I subconsciously "treat myself" to several things when Greg's gone, using this as a rather pathetic excuse to splurge a bit. Some might feel the urge to go clothes shopping when this happens. Never a huge shopper myself, here are some things I've realized I repeatedly do, that I do not do when Greg is home.

1) Buy prosciutto. I LOVE prosciutto! How this obsession started, I'm not quite sure, because my Mom thinks salt comes directly from the Devil and virtually barred us from most salty foods (unbeknownst to me, who discovered my salty tooth two years ago) growing up. It's a splurge at the store - about $5 for a pack of 8 slices, but it's so delicious on a fresh french baguette with melted cheese, or wrapped around cantaloupe. It's one of my favorite Greg's gone treats. 

2) Pesto (Greg's not a huge fan). Having chicken pesto pasta with cherry tomatoes in it for dinner reminds me of my freshman roommate in college, Ila, who would make this and it was exquisite. Pesto is another love of mine that I never had growing up. 

3) Breakfast for dinner! Hashbrowns with Old Bay, and an omelette (usually made with "Best of the Egg", Safeway's cheaper answer to Egg Beaters). 

4) People Magazine. I used to buy this all the time at the store, but it's such an obvious discretionary expense that I don't anymore. But when Greg's gone....bring it on! Love People!

5) Watching TMZ. TMZ, for all you non-West Coasters, stands for "Thirty Mile Zone," or the zone in LA in which the paparazzi find the juiciest celebs to gossip about. This show is on in the evenings, and is devoted entirely to paparazzi clips of celebs. Greg prefers Jeopardy (don't get me wrong; I love Alex Trebek too), but it's so fun to splurge when he's not around. 

6) I apologize in advance for this one, but I'm willing to bet that most of the girls reading this would do this, too...I don't shower as much. There! I said it! And it is a splurge....Greg is a total clean freak when it comes to hygiene - I tease him that if he could he'd shower three times a day (usually it's twice). I like being clean, but when I haven't done anything to break a sweat that day, and I haven't interacted with anyone that day, I find it a guilty pleasure just to save the primping and showering for the next morning. Call me gross, but I know every one of you has done this before!

Hope you enjoy this list. On another note, I finished "American Wife" today, and love it! Definitely recommend it - thanks for getting it for me for Christmas, Mom! Hopefully my next book will be as good of a read. 


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Try prosciutto wrapped around asparagus . . . so yummy!