Lilypie First Birthday tickers
PitaPata Dog tickers

Wednesday, April 07, 2010

The Home Stretch: Wednesday

Ahh. Humpday. I feel much better now that it's over.

Today, like every day this week, I have woken up after a restless sleep in the most wretched mood ever. By far the last week is the hardest. Yes, he is coming home soon, but the anxiety and the realization of what I've slowly been chugging towards for months is just a grasp away, and suddenly a few days seems more insurmountable than four months seemed back in December!

Luckily, I have found in Yucca what I've only found a few times before in my life: a friend who is up for anything, everything, at any given time. Likes to hang out just for the sake of hanging out, on a moment's notice (Anna Brown, my friend from college, is another one of these friends, and I'm sure I have more, but she is the other one who pops to the forefront right now). I'm not necessarily one of these people - many times I say no to hanging out because I have work, or had made another schedule for my day that I have a hard time bending. It's a fault of mine, but the fact is, I LOVE this trait in other people!

Anyway - my "drop everything and hang out" friend here is Crissy Gardner. She is one of my photographers for the homecoming, and today she texted me asking if "Operation Welcome Home Lt. Daddy Gehring" was still on schedule. I then wrote back some whiny thing about how time is dragging, and boom! Just like that we had lunch plans in Palm Springs in two hours. What started as a lunch at Panera then led to perusing Marshall's (awesome store, by the way), which brought me to Caroline's mealtime, followed by grocery shopping. And before I knew it, I was home and it was 4 PM! And that's what friends are for.

After I got home I baked lots of brownies and cookies for Homecoming, because I said I would for a battalion bake sale. So that took up more time. Then I watched a DVR'd Oprah episode about Glee! (SO excited for that to start next Wednesday!!), put Caroline to bed, and poured myself a celebratory glass of Sauvignon Blanc.

Not too exciting, but one more day is down. Friends are the best, and certainly one of the blessings embedded in this deployment has been that I have been able to become close to several people out here. Onwards to Thursday!




P.S. For those of you wondering why I haven't said when Greg is coming home, it's because I can't for security seasons. And because I want you to have an incentive to keep reading :). So stay tuned and you'll see!

No comments: