Since I last wrote, there has been a changeover of helpers out here in Yucca. Ann left last Sunday, and Katherine arrived last Saturday. The three of us had a whole day together, which was great, because it really only happens once or twice a year these days.
Towards the end of Ann's visit, I definitely hit a wall as far as how I felt. Before a week and a half ago, I had pretty high levels of energy, and felt remarkably good for someone who was in her third trimester. All of a sudden, my energy level plummeted - something that isn't helped by sleepless nights - and the "ball of hormones" that everyone describes popped up out of nowhere. It's made me realize that I really need to take care of myself, and be aware of how much activity I should be doing every day. The last thing I want to do is to be strung out before I go into labor.
That being said, Katherine and I have had a fun time doing low key, relaxing activities since her arrival. We've perused the Yucca Valley antique shops, gone to the outlets, done lots of cooking (Katherine's on a homemade bread baking streak...YUM!), and gone on daily walks with Rocky. It has also helped my spirits that Fall seems to have finally arrived out here. While Ann was here, the temps were consistently in the 100s every day, but this week it has been in the 70s or 80s, which has been so refreshing.
Probably the most adventurous activity Kat and I have done this week is to go to Joshua Tree National Park with one of my friends out here and her family. Her husband and her daughter (who is 2.5, and so cute) were camping in the Park this week, so she invited me and Katherine to join her and her 10 month old son to go surprise them for some marshmallow roasting, smore eating, stargazing fun. It was great! The park is so beautiful, and Greg and I haven't ever camped out there, so it was nice to see that side of it. I'm attaching a few pics so you can see the beauty of our own backyard!
Today Katherine went back to base to see Frank, who is Greg's friend from Navy, off. It was kind of nice to be a part of a sendoff and not be on the verge of a crying breakdown. Our presence proved worthwhile, since Frank realized at the last minute that he had forgotten his iPod at his house, so we were able to run and get it for him in time. Now he's off to join Greg in the other barren desert that looks like Yucca Valley :)
Speaking of Greg, he is doing well. I've spoken to him three times since he left, which is great. I don't mind the 3 AM phone calls (there is an 11.5 hour time difference), because I know that I'll always be available, and I'm just thankful to hear his voice! He arrived at his final base safe and sound, and sounds like he is incredibly busy. Every time he calls he asks me if I'm still pregnant, and unfortunately, the answer has not change since he left. Soon! I can't wait to answer the phone and tell him he is officially a daddy.
So that's the update. I will certainly keep you all posted with regards to baby and Greg. In the meantime, thanks again for staying in touch and letting us know you are thinking of us - it really does mean the world!
Pics of the Post:
Joshua Tree
Joshua Tree Boulders
Adventurous Kat
Sunset in Joshua Tree


1 comment:
Weez! Can't believe it's only 3 days (arbitrarily speaking)! Sounds like your sisters are taking great of care of you! Thinking of you and anxiously awaiting more good news!
Post a Comment