Lilypie First Birthday tickers
PitaPata Dog tickers

Sunday, October 25, 2009

Early thoughts on being a mommy

It's been almost three weeks since Caroline was born, and already I've decided a few things about being a mom...

1) I will always feel like an expert in something that happened three days earlier, and completely in the dark about how to solve a baby crisis in the moment. I feel like if I went back to the first week of Caroline's life, things would have gone so much more smoothly. Same with a few nights ago, when she was so gassy she didn't get to sleep for 6 hours straight. I could go on. But, if something new cropped up right now, I'd be back on Google and sticking my nose back in the baby books. 

2) I have moments (mostly at night, if she is keeping me up when all I want is some sleep) when I wonder, will she ever sleep through the night? Will this ever get better? Will I ever get sleep ever again in my entire life? And then I realize, even if she acted like a newborn for the rest of her life (which she obviously won't), things WILL get better, because Greg will be home in 6 months. It's really comforting to realize that what I'm doing isn't just raising a baby, it's doing it mostly by myself for the first 6 months, so that at a bare minimum things will get better when Greg gets back.

3) As long as Rocky is fed/has relieved himself outside and Caroline is fed/dry/burped, I am a super mom. And if I can get a package to Greg in the mail that same day, I'm a super duper mom. These are my standards. 

4) Every day is such a big day, and I will never again see a newborn and say "Oh, she's SO tiny/young!" Because I now know that that newborn's mom is thinking, "What the heck are you talking about...this baby is 13 long days old and that is a HUGE amount of time to me!"

5) Once in a blue moon, I'll wake up and realize that Rocky is sound asleep, as is Caroline, and I'll smile to myself knowing that everyone is resting. It's a good feeling. 

6) The best motivation I can get is an email or phone call from Greg, and I feel a million times better. 

So there are my thoughts for the day! Off to get a bit of shuteye before my little friend has to eat again...

 

No comments: