Lilypie First Birthday tickers
PitaPata Dog tickers

Saturday, October 31, 2009

Happy Halloween!

I can't believe we are already at the end of October. Caroline will be a month old on Tuesday (if you're counting week by week...obviously November 6 isn't until next weekend). I can't believe it! This week she has started "talking" to herself, making lots of little coos and grunts. She's also become pretty proficient at turning her head from one side to the other when she is lying on her tummy. She tends to be very determined when figuring this move out, which in turn brings out new sounds in her vocabulary. It's very cute!

Greg's mom is here now, and we are having a lot of fun. She has been nice enough to babysit Caroline while I get out on my own (go to the dentist, eat lunch with a friend), which has been nice. I'm finally starting to feel somewhat human again, which is a good feeling. I attribute this in part to Caroline's new routine of sleeping for one 4-5 hour stretch every night - it is much more manageable than 2-3 hour increments!

I will post up new photos of her next. She is growing very fast, and is becoming more alert every day. I think she's starting to like our world better than her old one, which I couldn't say was the case for the past few weeks.

On another note, Greg seems to be doing well. He received the DVD I sent him from the week Caroline was born, and eagerly awaits updates about her. A new laundry facility just opened at his base, so he's very excited about that, since he no longer has to handwash his clothes (or wash them at all for that matter - there are contractors that wash and fold his uniform for him).

I saw in the news today that his unit lost its first guy this week. It definitely brings me back to the reality of the situation at hand, since whenever he calls I imagine that he's in Annapolis at the Academy, in 29 Palms in his office or on the range, or in any place where we have previously had a long distance relationship - but never in Afghanistan. I know it's easy to become comfortable with the whole situation (which I have, in part I believe because it's the only way I won't live each moment in paranoia) but it's extremely important for us all to keep up our prayers for Greg and for all people over there. They are protecting an area the size of Rhode Island, but there are only 1,000 of them - it's basically like colonizing America :). They are literally putting their lives on the line for justice. Example? One van filled with a large Afghan family (including a 9 month pregnant woman) did not have the amount of money the Taliban was forcing her to pay as a "toll" to drive on the one paved road to get to the hospital for an appointment. They let the family go anyway, saying that they would make an exception for the family. As soon as they entered the road, the same guards bombed the car. It's horrible, it's real, and we all have to pray for peace, safety, and justice for all troops over there.

Sorry for such a somber post - it is important to put things in perspective some times.

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend and a spooky but safe Halloween. Everyone in Yucca sends their best!

No comments: