Lilypie First Birthday tickers
PitaPata Dog tickers

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Two Weeks Old and One Month Down

Today Caroline is officially two weeks old! Even though she technically won't be 2 weeks until 11:23 PM tonight, I'm treating today as a big stepping stone. I feel like the last week has been much less hectic than the first, with many of the initial "kinks" worked out. Caroline has been eating well, sleeping as well as can be expected, and is continuing to being more and more aware of her surroundings. She is absolutely adorable, and makes me smile every time I look at her. She is just so determined about everything she does, whether it's staring at her mom or her grandmother, eating, staring at a toy, listening to a book, or trying to fall asleep. The look on her face is absolutely priceless, and I love it.

The Babywise routine has definitely worked wonders so far. For the past few days she's done pretty well with eating every three hours, and has even gone 4-5 hours during the night, which has given me some much needed rest. Fingers crossed it continues to work, and becomes a true routine, not just something we've done for a couple of days.

Mom and I are both doing well, trying to get sleep when we can, and enjoying our time with Caroline. Rocky still seems to be a bit perplexed about the whole situation, but loves to sniff Caroline and soon will enjoy her.

On the other side of the world, Greg seems to be doing well. He is incredibly busy, and spends most days on the road (literally - on the one paved road in the country!). When he does have time to call, he has a 30 minute limit, which usually ends up being about 20-25 minutes by the time we get connected. When this call only comes once or twice a week, 25 minutes seems horribly short, especially given all of the changes that go on here. He still hasn't had access to his email, although we're hoping that may get better soon, and still hasn't received any snail mail, including a package I sent 5 weeks ago, before he left. Apparently the mail is all clogged up right now at the main base, as so many units are coming and going, but I'm hoping it will be worked out soon. It's really, really hard. All I want is to be able to catch up with him and to not feel pressured to hit only on the huge things that have happened (for example, I'd love to be able to tell a funny story that made me think of him in addition to telling him oh, you're a dad now!). It's definitely taking it's toll, and I'm hoping in the next few weeks it will get better. On the bright side, he has been gone 1 month, so I only have to go through 6 more months until he comes back!

Please continue to pray for us as we go through this adventure. It's not easy, but will be so satisfying when we are back together in the spring. In the meantime, Caroline, Rocky, and I will continue to hold down the fort!

No comments: