Lilypie First Birthday tickers
PitaPata Dog tickers

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Animal Crackers and Cocoa

I have a wonderful poetry book that I read to Caroline, called "Eloise Wilkins' Poems for the Very Young." It was given to me by my friend Caroline Hamilton's parents, who said it was her favorite book growing up. Caroline H. is now the best creative writer I know, and I live each day hoping I get a story in my inbox from her. So, in my efforts to make this creativity and skill rub off on Caroline, I've been reading her this poetry book. She loves it, and so do I! My favorite poem is called "Animal Crackers and Cocoa," by Christopher Morley. He pretty much hits the nail on the head. I think  animal crackers and cocoa are my meal of choice, too!

If you're like me (or at least me pre-Caroline) poetry is probably no longer a huge part of your every day life, even though you enjoy it. So I thought I'd share this with you on a cold, wintry Sunday morning....

Animal crackers and cocoa to drink,
That is the finest of suppers I think;
When I'm grown up and can have what I please
I think I shall always insist upon these.
What do YOU choose when you're offered a treat?
When Mother says, "What would you like best to eat?"
Is it waffles and syrup, or cinnamon toast?
It's cocoa and animals that I love most!

The kitchen's the cosiest place that I know;
The kettle is singing, the stove is aglow,
And there in the twilight, how jolly to see
The cocoa and animals waiting for me.

No comments: