Specifically, I'm referring to the breaking news every single time there is a casualty overseas. Immediately, there is a race for all of the websites and newspapers to report that someone has been killed, and many of these sources are anti-war, tinging the report with just a hint of "we told you so" attitude.
The DoD prohibits releasing the name of those killed or wounded until the next of kin has been identified. Most people know this, and I think it's an obvious sign of courtesy and respect to that family. However, what most people don't know is that when anyone is killed or wounded in country, communication lines are shut down - regardless of whether the casualty was in your unit or not - until the casualty's next of kin has been notified. So naturally, whenever I read articles of this nature (such as today's big news about a British reporter who was killed in Afghanistan along with a U.S. Marine while on patrol), I am paralyzed in fear until I hear from Greg. But, because of the frozen communication lines over there, I usually don't hear from him for several days. It's so horrible, and completely ruins my day(s) when this happens.
I just wish that newspapers, news channels, and websites would think about this before broadcasting big stories with nothing but sketchy, unclear details before publishing. So what if it may hurt their reputation just a little bit - it will also help a lot of spouses whose husbands are deployed get through yet another day.


No comments:
Post a Comment