I arrived home last Wednesday evening. On Thursday, I picked up my sister in Delaware (logistical issue - her hubby Jacob was taking their car to Baltimore to see his brother, so I met her and brought her to Chestertown). Anyway, it was a great to see Kat, since I hadn't seen her since Christmas, and fun to have someone my age to hang out with around the house.
On Friday I drove to D.C., where I met up with my friend Sara to go to a wedding. Our friend Jackie, who was in our pledge class in college, was getting married to her wonderful boyfriend (now husband - crazy!), who we all knew and loved in college. The wedding was absolutely breathtaking. It was in Leesburg, Virginia, at this beautiful church, and the wedding was at a breathtaking house in the countryside. Jackie had thought out every last detail, and everything was so tasteful! I think she definitely could have a second career in wedding planning :).
Sara and I met up with two other girls from our pledge class, Elizabeth and Carly, who I also hadn't seen in forever. It was great to catch up with them, to sit with them during dinner, to revel in our datelessness, and to see what they've been up to. They are all doing so well, and being with these girls brought be back to the unparalleled comfort that I always get when I'm around people who really know me. People who, even if I wasn't always that close to them in college (or high school, etc), I can meet up with after years and pick up right where we left off. Sara, Carly, and Elizabeth all seemed to be doing so well, and the genuine happiness we all felt about seeing each other again and the support that I felt from all of them for what each other was doing was just so great. I'm so lucky to know so many wonderful people!
The next day, Sara and I headed over to the Eastern Shore to my parents' house, where they had a 4th of July shindig. My other sister Ann and her husband had flown in from Denver for the weekend, and Grammy and Aunt Ruth also came. Other guests were my parents' friends, who I hadn't seen since Ann's wedding in December. There were about 40 people there - it was so exhausting to small talk with all of them! I think I'm going to start giving a prerecorded answer every time someone asks about my life :). The party was still lots of fun - steamed crabs, corn on the cob, pasta salad, burgers, and hot dogs were on the menu, with strawberry shortcake, cupcakes, and key lime pie for dessert. Yummy! How I miss Maryland food when I'm in California! While we didn't get to see any fireworks, it was definitely a festive holiday.
The rest of the weekend I spent with my sisters, brothers in law, and Grammy, who stayed for a few days. It was great to catch up with everyone, and to have people to do fun summer activities like go out on the boat and kayak with. The house has slowly calmed down, though, as Grammy, Ann, and Tyler have all returned to their homes and Jacob heads back to Boston today (Katherine will hang out with me for a few more days, which I'm happy about).
Other than hanging out with family, I've been busy practicing GMAT stuff (I took a practice test at the real testing center yesterday, and take the real test next Tuesday), and missing Greg and our pupster Rocky. I saw Carlo, Greg's roommate from Navy, a few days ago on his way back to New Hampshire, which was fun, but also made me miss Greg. On that note, Greg's friends have been so good to me - since I've been home, I've received calls from Ryan, Jared, and Kyle all checking up to see how I'm doing. I'm so lucky to have a husband with such wonderful friends that care not only about Greg but also about me! I really appreciate it.
So that's the longwinded update. I hope you all had a wonderful 4th of July, and are recovering nicely :)


1 comment:
So glad to hear how well you are doing and that you got to be with your entire family (minus your sweet husband) on the 4th. I have been thinking about you and will continue to pray for you and that baby girl! We love you!
Post a Comment