Lilypie First Birthday tickers
PitaPata Dog tickers

Thursday, July 31, 2008

I Survived (Two) Natural Disasters

It's official....first the wildfire, then the earthquake...so we've now officially survived two natural disasters within two months! Crazy - I've honestly never been in a place where nature governs more than the California desert.

On Tuesday I was sitting at the kitchen table around 11:45, and all of a sudden my chair, the table, and every single kitchen appliance started shaking and rattling. It lasted about 10 seconds, and at first I thought maybe a car had driven into our house or there had been some huge accident outside or something, but then I realized that most likely it had been an earthquake. I figured I wouldn't ever really know for sure, but then 15 minutes later I went on CNN.com and sure enough, the earthquake had been centered in Chino, which is about 75 miles east of us. For those of you O.C. fans, Chino is where Ryan was from. But that's enough of that. We were all ok, and for the Hi-Desert region, this wasn't a big deal. In the past ten years, there have been two earthquakes above 7.0 within 20 miles of us. So we'll see....we might get another one before we leave here. 

That's about all that has gone on around here. Except that we had a wonderful weekend with Mom and Dad last weekend! We showed them everything, from the base to Pioneertown to old Palm Springs to the Palm Desert shopping district. It was so much fun. I'm so glad they got to come out here. Dad and Rocky LOVED each other (so did Mom...but Dad and Rocky are soul mates, I'm pretty sure). We had a blast, and I hope they come out here again soon!

Other than that, Rocky graduated from puppy kindergarten this week! He was so good at the graduation, and even got second place in musical chairs (a pit bull mix won first place because he was bullying Rocky...oh well).

Tomorrow Greg and I are SO excited because Carolyn Roscoe is coming to visit! Roscoe was my roommate in Richmond last year, and was the best roommate ever. She is so great and funny and we are going to have so much fun. She'll be here until Tuesday morning, and we can't wait to show her around. One of the highlights of the weekend will be a day trip to Beverly Hills! I'll keep you all posted on our adventures next week. Have a great weekend!

No comments: