Lilypie First Birthday tickers
PitaPata Dog tickers

Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Happy 4th of July!

As some of you know, 4th of July is my favorite holiday EVER. I can't imagine anything more fun (not even getting presents under a tree) than celebrating our country's birth. My parents always joked that I was the most patriotic person they'd ever met, "the spirit of the 4th," and perhaps that's why I find the holiday even better now that I'm married to a Marine. Greg and I are heading back east (slightly) today, to Arizona, where my parents have a house. We are spending the weekend there, teaching Rocky how to swim, and catching some (more) rays. We have four whole days together, which is a fabulous long weekend. We'll take pics of Rocky in the pool for you!

I hope everyone has a wonderful fourth of July. Because it's my favorite holiday, I thought I'd run down some of the best all-time 4ths I've ever had, since so many of you blog-readers are a part of my memory, and I like reminiscing.....

1) 2006 - Chestertown, MD. My parents had a crab feast on their front lawn.. Several 13th Co. members showed up, where we caught up, laughed, had wonderful crabs, beer, and corn on the cob, and even rescued a poorly-tied up Boston Whaler, and successfully avoided a storm by moving our table into the porch just in time. 

2) 2005 - Barcelona, Spain. Anna Brown and I finally convinced Sara Hester to go to an American place in Europe. We went to the Hard Rock Cafe, which was of course PACKED with July 4th-starved patriots, and we all sang along to "Born in the U.S.A.," while Anna drank an $11 Alabama Slamma to try to shake off the homesickness.

3) late '90s/early '00s - Tred Avon River, MD. The many 4th of Julys my family spent on my parents' sailboat. I would make my famous Strawberry Shortcake, and we would grill the best burgers ever. On sailboats, when the fireworks are really good, you blow your foghorn. My favorite fourth was hearing so many foghorns, and above it all hearing one boat next to us blast the "1812 Overture." 

4) mid '90s - Irvington, VA. We used to sail down to the Tides Inn on the Rappahannock River in VA, and take a break from boat quarters and stay in a hotel for the weekend. It was always GREAT - spoonbread, grits, and so much other great southern food - not to mention a great fireworks show. I think this is what instilled my love of the 4th. 

There you have it! Last year was a blip on the radar, because Greg was in Richmond helping me move into my electricless, waterless apt, and was about to go to TBS the next day, so he was incredibly nervous. We went to the Olive Garden and saw no fireworks. I think we can do better than that this year!

I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday!


No comments: