Lilypie First Birthday tickers
PitaPata Dog tickers

Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Yummy (and healthy) dinner recipe

Last night we had a delicious meal, which included an old favorite recipe of mine, as well as two new successes. We try new recipes quite a bit, but this one was a winner because it required hardly any tweaking going forward (I say this because two weeks ago we made chicken satay skewers with peanut sauce that tasted exactly like a bottle of Skippy, leading us to decide we needed non-name brand peanut butter next time!). Better yet, this meal combined my love of Southern food with my desire to eat healthfully.

I'm sharing this with you all because I am more often than not stuck in a rut as to what to have for dinner, and I was excited with how easy and delicious this one was.

Here was the menu: Ellie Krieger's (a nutritionist/chef on the Food Network, who is great) BBQ Pulled Chicken Sandwiches and Cole Slaw, and Ina Garten's Mac and Cheese (an instant classic - this is the BEST Mac and Cheese recipe!). The BBQ is great because it uses a rotisserie chicken, and can be ready in 30 minutes. The coleslaw takes less than 5 to make, and while the Mac and Cheese takes a while to prepare (probably 25 minutes to prep and 30 to cook), you can prep it before hand and stick it in the fridge until it's time to cook.

Here are the links to the recipes - enjoy!


Pulled BBQ Chicken Sandwiches - Ellie Krieger


Classic Coleslaw with Caraway - Ellie Krieger (note: I omitted the caraway and it was fine)


Mac and Cheese - Ina Garten 


Photos....

Yummy, healthy BBQ Chicken Sandwich

Ina's Mac and Cheese



No comments: