I can't believe it's been almost a month since I last updated. Greg and I have been very busy, and I have been away from my computer a lot, so it's been hard to keep you posted!
Since I last wrote, a few big things have happened. First, Greg and I sealed the deal on the '08 Chevy Tahoe we were looking at in Arizona. We love it! Greg traded in his Passat, and loves having a car that is big enough to lug heavy items around in (like the garage full of cardboard boxes we took to the recycling center yesterday :) ) , and that will be able to fit baby, Rocky, and down the road, hopefully more additions to the family. We're hoping this car will be the equivalent of the Suburban my parents had when I was young, that literally lasted over 10 years and probably about 250,000 miles! We'll see.
The other big thing that we have done since I updated was head out on our first vacation together (apart from a few weekend trips) in almost a year and a half. We took a road trip up the coast to San Francisco, and had a blast! We drove up PCH and spent the night in Santa Barbara, two in Monterey, and three in San Francisco before heading south on the 5 through Bakersfield and back to Yucca. We had lots of fun seeing the sights - the beautiful beach in SB, the Central Coast wine country, Big Sur, the Monterey Aquarium/Cannery, Alcatraz, Chinatown, the Ferry Building, Fisherman's Wharf, and Ghirardelli Factory San Francisco. It was so wonderful to have a whole week together with no work, and relaxing schedules every day. I'll post pictures after this post so you can see some of the places we went.
We arrived back in Yucca last Saturday morning, happy to see our sweet boy Rocky and happy that Greg had another week of leave before he had to check in to work. We spent last week relaxing, sleeping in, and running a ton of errands to make sure Greg has everything he needs before he goes, and to make sure everything is all set for the baby's arrival.
It's been wonderful having some time together before Greg leaves in a week. It's still very surreal - I feel like we've been waiting for this for years, knowing it's coming, but at the same time I can't believe he's going to be gone for so long. Most days I'm not the nervous, emotional wreck that I thought I would be, and I almost convince myself that this is just 7-8 months of him being gone on a business, nothing more than that. Then I have moments where I realize that it's actually a lot bigger than that. There's definitely a balance I need to find between shoving the scary parts of a deployment under the carpet, and obsessing about them (ie having very little communication, hoping the time goes by quickly, etc).
The nice thing is, there are hundreds of other Marine wives in Greg's unit who are going through the exact same thing. It really is a huge help to be in an environment where other people are in the same boat, rather than far away from base, where both Greg and I feel like we get more pity about our situation than anything else. I've been saying for so long that I just want to start the countdown to Greg's return, rather than have the deployment loom over our heads, and the good news is, that countdown starts soon!
Because of what's going on in our lives, I'm going to bump up the security level of this blog and limit its access those of you who I know read it regularly. If you would like to be included in this list of people, please let me know! I'll start this with my next post.
Thanks again for your thoughts and prayers - we need them, we appreciate them, and we love them! I will hopefully post again before Greg leaves. If not, wish us luck!


No comments:
Post a Comment