Lilypie First Birthday tickers
PitaPata Dog tickers

Sunday, November 15, 2009

Thankful

The past few weeks, I've been struck by the graciousness of my friends, family, and even just the people around me who I've interacted with. I've been praying every night for God to protect me, Caroline, and Rocky, and I truly believe that He is showing this through the amazing show of support that I've received recently. I just wanted to thank everyone - I really, really appreciate it, and it helps us get through the day immensely! Here are some of the specific shows of love/support that have really stuck with me...

1) A man at the grocery store last weekend who offered to take my cart back to the cart rack, after I was done unloading the car. He clearly saw that in order for me to take my cart back, I would have to carry Caroline all the way there and back, and it would be much easier for him to do it than for me. At least this is why I thought he did it...after he came back I noticed he hopped into a blue Prius (same car I have) and drove away. You can't compete with the camaraderie of Prius owners!

2) When I was driving to Palm Springs from Yucca this past week, I drove past Greg's friend Chris, who he knew from TBS and Logistics School, and who is also based here. I thought it was him, but assumed he didn't see me as I passed him, and didn't think much of it. When I got home, I had an email from Chris saying he had seen me on the road, and realized I didn't have his phone number in case I needed anything. So he gave me his number, said he understood how hard it must be to be out here by myself with Caroline, and said if I needed anything at all to give him a ring. It was so nice that someone who isn't even in Greg's tightest group of friends would reach out like that. On one hand I was impressed; on the other hand, that kind of behavior is pretty typical of a Marine.

3) My family, who came out here starting the day Greg left, until a week ago. First Ann came, and even though Caroline hadn't arrived yet she played such a key role in helping me deal with Greg leaving. She kept me busy with lots of activities, and it made a week that would have been so lonely and depressing so much fun. Then Katherine came - as you may know, she was here when Caroline arrived. She was an amazing "labor coach," which really means she did a great job driving me to the hospital and giving me a 3 hour straight lower back massage during my contractions, which seemed to be the only thing I needed the most. Then she gave me personal deliveries of food and magazines at the hospital, and even gave the staff a piece of her mind when they wouldn't discharge me (even though I had been told that I could leave that day). After Katherine my mom came out, and dealt with me during the first two weeks of Caroline's life, when (in her words) I went through my second bout of "the terrible twos". I was so fussy and tired, and she was so patient and put up with it completely. She also helped me through several speed bumps that we went through those first two weeks. Finally, Linda (Greg's mom) came out after my mom left, and we had a great time. She got me out of the house every day, which was a great because before that I had pretty much been staying at home. She also helped with the middle of the night feedings, so I was able to catch up on rest. I am so grateful for all of these wonderful women, and to their husbands, who let them leave for two weeks (although I didn't feel too bad about that, since two weeks is the drop in the bucket compared to seven months!).

4) My high school friends, who are constantly emailing me/texting me/calling me with random funny stories, or just to catch up. I thought it was so cliche when I graduated from Groton when everyone said that my friends there would be my friends for life, but it couldn't have been more true. They are so wonderful, and I love them so much! It's very rare for me to feel that someone is truly excited and supportive, with all of their heart, for someone else, just because I feel like there is so much jealousy in this world. But I can honestly say that my friends from Groton are always so genuinely excited for every step any of us take, and it is so amazing to see.

5) My college friends, who also send me funny emails, and go out of their way to make sure that just because I live in California doesn't mean I'm cut off from the world. They are so wonderful and make me laugh and miss the good old days in Charlottesville so much.

6) All of the people who have popped out of the woodwork to shoot me an email of encouragement or a little package in the mail are AMAZING. These are perhaps the biggest surprise to me, since many of them are people who I may not have known well at all, but just because they've seen (most likely through Facebook) what I'm going through they are willing to do anything to help out. This alone has given me the utmost faith in people in general. I think as much as people complain about Facebook, it kind of does allow people to put down the barriers that they might have if they were face to face with someone they don't know that well, and instead say what they are really thinking - which in my case, has led to many sweet messages and emails. Thank you so much - I really appreciate it!

7) And of course, my friends in Yucca/29 Palms. I don't have a huge group of friends out here, but those I do have check up on me all the time, and give me constant support and laughter. I've decided that Marine Corps is a community centered on love and community, not war, as when these guys are deployed all anyone is trying to do is to support their husbands as much as they can and trudge through to the finish line, when they can have their families together again.

Sorry this post is so long - I just wanted to point out how thankful I am! Which is particularly convenient, since Thanksgiving is in two weeks :). I hope you all are having a great weekend - appreciate the fun aspect of the weekend, because when you're alone in a house with a baby a Saturday night actually seems less uneventful than a Monday night (when the event is Gossip Girl, of course)!

1 comment:

Caelyn said...

this is probably the most touching blog post I have ever read, louisa. thanks so much for sharing.